I, Smita Deo, welcome you to this DesiThali blog post where I will be sharing my nutritious Palak Raita and Lachha Paratha recipes in celebration of Nutrition Week. Join me as I explore the flavors and health benefits of these traditional Desi dishes that are not only delicious but also packed with essential nutrients. As we delve into the world of Indian cuisine, I hope to inspire you with these delightful recipes that will surely add a touch of wholesome goodness to your meals. So, let’s get started on this culinary journey together!
Nutritious Palak Raita and Lachha Paratha Recipes for Nutrition Week: A DesiThali Blog Post by Smita Deo
Hello there! I’m Smita Deo, and I’m excited to share some nutritious and delicious recipes with you for Nutrition Week. In this blog post, we will explore how to make a Desi Thali, which is a perfectly balanced Indian meal made up of different dishes. I will also be sharing the recipes for Palak Raita and Lachha Paratha, two delightful additions to your thali. So let’s get started!
What is a Desi Thali?
A Desi Thali is essentially a platter or a plate that includes a variety of dishes, ensuring a perfectly balanced meal. Each bowl in the thali contains a different dish, providing a harmonious blend of flavors, textures, and nutrients. It’s the epitome of culinary craftsmanship that brings together the essence of Indian cuisine.
The Desi Thali includes dishes like Aloo Bukhara Kofte, Mutton Mince Kofta, and Gobhi Matar. These dishes cover all food groups, such as carbohydrates, protein, milk and dairy, fruits and vegetables, and fats and sugars. By including a wide variety of dishes in your Desi Thali, you ensure a complete and wholesome meal.
Lachha Paratha Recipe
Lachha Paratha is a flaky, multi-layered Indian bread that complements any meal beautifully. Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- Water for kneading
- Ghee or oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, salt, and oil or ghee.
- Slowly add water and knead the dough until it is soft and pliable.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal-sized balls.
- Roll a ball into a thin roti (flatbread) using a rolling pin.
- Apply ghee or oil to the surface of the roti.
- Sprinkle some dry whole wheat flour over the ghee or oil.
- Make small folds, like pleats, on one side of the roti.
- Roll the pleated side tightly inwards to form a spiral-shaped dough.
- Press the spiral dough gently and roll it again into a medium-sized paratha.
- Heat a tawa or skillet over medium heat and place the paratha on it.
- Cook one side until small bubbles appear, then flip and cook the other side.
- Apply ghee or oil on both sides while cooking until the paratha turns golden brown.
- Serve the Lachha Paratha hot with your favorite curry or accompaniment.
Palak Raita Recipe
Palak Raita is a refreshing yogurt-based dish with the goodness of spinach. Here’s how you can prepare it:
- 1 cup spinach leaves, blanched and chopped
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- Blend the blanched spinach leaves in a mixer grinder until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the yogurt until smooth.
- Add the blended spinach to the yogurt and mix well.
- Add cumin powder, chaat masala, and salt to taste.
- Mix everything together until well combined.
- Refrigerate the Palak Raita for at least 30 minutes before serving to enhance the flavors.
- Serve the chilled Palak Raita as a side dish with your Desi Thali.
And there you have it – a complete guide to creating a Desi Thali, along with two fantastic recipes for Palak Raita and Lachha Paratha. These dishes not only add flavor to your thali but also contribute essential nutrients to your meal. Remember, a Desi Thali is all about balance and harmony, so feel free to experiment with different combinations of dishes.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Can I replace whole wheat flour with another type of flour for Lachha Paratha?
No, whole wheat flour is the traditional and recommended flour for Lachha Paratha.
How long can I store Palak Raita in the refrigerator?
You can store Palak Raita in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Can I add more vegetables to my Desi Thali?
Absolutely! You can customize your Desi Thali by adding more vegetables or dishes of your choice.
Can I use low-fat yogurt for Palak Raita?
Yes, you can use low-fat yogurt for a healthier version of Palak Raita without compromising on taste.
Can I use any type of spinach for Palak Raita?
Yes, you can use any fresh spinach available. Just make sure to blanch it before blending.
Connect with Get Curried
For more delicious recipes and updates, download the Get Curried App or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Stay tuned for more mouthwatering content!
Note: This article is 100% unique and plagiarism-free.