Fish Curry Recipe – Bengali Fish Curry Recipe – Macher Jhol – Salmon Curry Recipe
🔔Please click on the link below and subscribe to Curries With Bumbi so that I can bring more new recipes for you–
Ingredients Required For Making Fish Curry –
* 1.2 kg/ 2.7 lb salmon/freshwater carp/tilapia/pomfret. Usually bone in fish is commonly used but I sometimes even use thick large fillet. Marinate the fish with half teaspoon turmeric powder, half teaspoon salt and a teaspoon of oil.
* 4 to 5 medium potatoes
* I used 2 long Chinese eggplants. You can even use half of a large eggplant
* 2 medium ripe tomatoes (optional)
* 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger or ginger paste
* 1 dried bayleaf
* 2 dry red chillies (optional)
* 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
* 1 tablespoon ground coriander (dhania powder)
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin (jeera powder)
* half teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
* 2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder. Please note Kashmiri red chilli powder is mild in terms of heat but it can still be overpowering for people who are trying it out new, so, so please use very less to start with. You can always do a taste test at the end and add more if you want more of heat. You can substitute Kashmiri chilli powder with paprika if you want no heat or cayenne pepper.
* 2 to 3 cups hot water. Please add less if you more on the thicker side but this recipe has a runny lighter gravy.
* 3 to 4 tablespoons oil
* coriander leaves (cilantro) for garnish
** Points To Note –
* Please use large thick chunky pieces so that they can hold on to the shape.
* If using mustard oil, please heat the oil on high heat till it is smoking well, then reduce the heat to low and proceed with the recipe.
* Heat the oil very well before adding fish or else fish may stick to pan. I recommend using a nonstick pan if you are a beginner to frying fish.
* Use a pair of tongs to release fish in oil.
* You can use Bengali five spice seeds instead of cumin. Please follow this video to make Bengali Five Spice at home –
* You can even use radish, carrots or any seasonal vegetables that you like.
* Fry the eggplant till they are well cooked and add them to gravy at the end. Do not go beyond 2 minutes after after adding them.
Serve this with hot steamed rice.
KEEP IN TOUCH FOOD LOVERS –
My email – Share the photos of your culinary success by emailing me.
🎬 Related videos –
🎬 Fish/Prawn Recipes –
🎬 Chicken & Lamb Recipes –
🎬 Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes –
🎼Background Music – (From YouTube Audio Library)-
* Dancing Star By Aakash Gandhi
* Puffs By Text Me Records / Social Work
#bengalifishcurryrecipe #fishcurryrecipe #currieswithbumbi
DISCLAIMER- The information provided on this channel is for general purposes only and should not be considered as professional experience. All opinions/views/suggestions expressed here are based on my personal experience of cooking which I gained for years at my own home kitchen. While making videos, I have taken into consideration all possible and required safety precautions, but still any action you take based upon the information on this channel is strictly at your own discretion and risk, and we are not liable for any harm or damage in connection after watching or trying out the content presented in our videos.
Have a happy and safe cooking experience.
On today's menu is a recipe from my land
of love West Bengal which is a region in The eastern part of India people of West Bengal
love having freshwater fish and every household Cooks fish daily or else they feel their meal to
be incomplete nomoshkar and welcome to curries With bumbi and today is a requested recipe
for Macher jhol where mach in Bengali is fish And Jhol is a runny liquidy type of light gravy
okay guys usually this is made with fresh water Cup like Rohu Catla but I have to be happy with
salmon and you've got to make use of whatever is Available at your place add about half a teaspoon
of turmeric powder half a teaspoon of salt And just a teaspoon of oil rub the fish very
well with all this turmeric is thought to be Taking care of that fishy smell and removing
any impurities I don't know what the theories Are but I just follow what I always observe
from my childhood happening in the kitchen Next we will be making a spice paste bowl out
and in goes a tablespoon of ground coriander A teaspoon of ground cumin half a teaspoon
of turmeric and 2 teaspoons of kashmiri red Chilli powder or you can even use regular chili
powder but in that case useless 1 tbsp of finely Grated Ginger and 4 tablespoons of water mix
very well and your spice paste is all ready Next comes something that many people dislike
Mr Potato well this is a Bengali fish curry Recipe guys and how can it be without potatoes
now if you dislike potatoes but still want to Make this recipe then you can leave out
Mr Potato but it is a must must for me When it comes to a Bengali masher jhol and
the potatoes need to be cut like this Pan on high heat being a Bengali I always
cook fish in mustard oil because that's how It is done in Bengal but I am aware of the
bad reputation of this oil here in the west So I would advise you to use any oil of your
choice it will still be very delicious just Trust me by chance you want to use mustard
oil then heat the oil on high heat till it Is smoking hot then reduce the heat to low
and proceed with the recipe please open up Your windows or switch on your vent fan when
doing this because the smoke May stir up your Fire alarms add the fish in the hot oil and
fry them in batches since I am using salmon I Fry it less than a minute on each side or else
the fish gets too rubbery cover it and Fry on High heat turn the fish after a minute cover
and again fry for another minute on that side Then take them out and Fry the next batch Okay I'm done frying the fish next
it's time for Mr Potato to jump into The pan fry them on medium high
heat till they are golden brown Once they reach this beautiful
color take them out onto a bowl Next goes eggplant now you can leave out
eggplant if you do not like it in Bengal Seasonal vegetables are used in a masher jhol
it can be made in countless ways using different Kind of veggies like cauliflower is used during
winter season pointed gourd that we call potol
In Bengali goes in during summer but potatoes and
eggplants are commonly used all around the Year Let me know in the comment section if you would
like to see a fish curry recipe using cauliflower Okay fry the eggplants till they are almost
done and then take them out onto a separate Bowl Next moving on to making the gravy dried
bay leaf and two dry red chillies go in Along with a teaspoon of cumin seeds that
is jeera you can also use Bengali 5 Spice That is panch phoron on I have a video
on that it is running on the YouTube Card above and I will also leave a link
in the description box below the video Fry the cumin seeds on low heat for a
few seconds and then add sliced onions Just a pinch of salt to soften down the
onions and fry them till they become Pale and soft and light golden in color but
guys please do not brown them too much when They reach this stage it is time for the
Spice paste that we made earlier to go in Fry the paste on low heat for a minute
and then goes 2 medium roughly chopped Tomatoes tomatoes are optional but I love adding Them add a Sprinkle of salt that will
help the tomatoes to break down faster Then cover on medium heat for a few minutes
after a few minutes lift off and see how those Tomatoes have become mushy and pasty that's
exactly what we are looking for next comes a Good two to three cups of water gravy is usually
on the runny side because it is eaten with rice When the gravy comes up to a boil add a teaspoon
full of salt and then the potatoes Dive In Cover on for about 6 minutes or until
the potatoes are about 80 percent cooked After that cover off and add the fish And please do not forget to add all that
fish bowl juice guys because you do not Want to waste all that goodness Again
cover on medium low heat for 8 minutes After 8 minutes the fish is done the potatoes
have become tender and if you are thinking what Happened to those eggplants Bumbi now it's
time for them to go in the reason why we add Them at the end is they are already cooked
while frying so if you add them earlier they Will fall apart and it will be an eggplant mess
all around which will be very very hard for your Eyes to visualize that messy appearance and if
you serve that to your kids be prepared to be Greeted with a lot of grievances in fact I bet
adults will also not like that appearance okay After adding the eggplant just cover it for
2 minutes and your matcha jewel is all done Sprinkle some coriander leaves
if you like and have it with hot Steamed rice hope you will try this
delicious Bengali recipe and please Do smash that like button if you've
enjoyed watching this video bye bye