How to make the Malaysian curry paste
Here are some tips to follow if you want to make your Malaysian curry paste really yummy.
1. Use fresh ingredients. This is key for any dish, but especially when it comes to curry paste. fresh ingredients will give your paste a vibrant flavor that you just can’t get from using dried or canned ingredients.
2. Use a mortar and pestle. This is the best way to grind your spices and release their flavor. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, you can use a food processor, but the paste won’t be quite as good.
3. Roast the spices. This step is optional, but it really adds depth of flavor to your paste. To roast the spices, simply dry-fry them in a pan over medium heat until they’re fragrant.
4. Add the ingredients to the mortar and pestle in small batches. This will make it easier to grind them into a fine paste.
5. Use coconut milk. This is what gives Malaysian curry paste its characteristic creamy texture and mild sweetness.
6. Season to taste. You might want to add more salt, sugar, or chili pepper to your paste depending on your personal preferences.
7. Store in an airtight container. Your paste will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
8. Use it in your favorite recipes. Malaysian curry paste is great in all kinds of dishes, from chicken curry to stir-fries. Just be sure to add it at the beginning of the cooking process so that the flavors have time to meld.